Untermühle – History
Once upon a time...
The (hi)story of Jordan's Untermühle
Once upon a time there was a small mill. This mill used the amazing power of the water from the small Selz "river" to grind finest flour. And since the mill was located below Köngernheim, it was soon widely known as the "Untermühle" which translates to “Lower Mill”. The old water mill was first documented in 1608, but the story goes that it was probably in operation as early as the 14th Century. Eventually, the mill’s service was no longer needed, but the spirit of the Untermühle Köngernheim remained intact. Years went by, and owners came and went until the Jordan family bought the land in 2005. With lots of commitment and a great staff they revived the Untermühle’s old splendour.
Today, guests enter the completely restructured estate through its oldest building, the Traum-Mühle. The former wine tavern – known as "Mühlenstube" – had been supplemented by a fine Restaurant-Vinothek in the 1980s, which to this day pampers day guests with fine cuisine and exquisite wine. 15 guest rooms were added, and soon the old Untermühle Köngernheim turned into one of the most renowned establishments of its kind in the entire Rheinhessen region, as evidenced by the many high-profile visitors from politics and business that frequent the establishment.
Today, guests and visitors of Jordan's Untermühle find not only 30 comfortable rooms to feel at home in, but also enjoy wonderful moments in a tranquil natural setting. And to this day, the restaurant, like the first small-scale wine tavern, invites guests to feast and savour the many local specialities on offer.